Self-care involves steps taken to promote physical, mental and spiritual health. These steps are self-initiated and deliberate. The individual has full control over these acts.
Self-care leads to self-love which in turn leads to self-worth. Self-worth is an important facet of our lives, and this factor only determines our interaction, friendships, employment, and relationships. Routine management, self-help, stress management, and spirituality all comes under self-care. But the most important and initial factor that leads to every self-care step is self-loving. Consider yourself important enough to be looked after and taken care of.
In the book “Art of Extreme Self-Care,” Cheryl Richardson explains that we all are deprived in our own ways; the first step towards self-care is to understand where you need to take care of yourself. Deprivation can be of sleep, punctuality, determination, the purpose of life or peace. Assessing your deprivation is a step ahead of your health, whether you need body nutrient, exercise, sharing of responsibilities among family members or simply meditation. Here is what you can do for self-caring:
- Set some time aside each day to perform self-care activities.
- Nourish- having balance and variety in your attitude affects your health greatly. Supplying your body with adequate energy, building blocks and essential nutrients is of extreme importance. Vitamins and minerals, though required in small quantities are important for body functions, enabling us working properly. An improper diet with not enough nutrition can lead to many deficiencies but eating too much is also not ideal for your health. Moderation should be maintained.
- Breathe as intentional long breaths will supply sufficient oxygen to the brain. This will freshen your mind giving thinking clarity and a sound mind. Take time to breathe and relax. You don’t need to take out time from your schedule but utilize the free time you get when stuck in traffic or waiting in a line. Starting your day with breathing exercise will give you fresher start to your day.
- Sleeping routine is a major determinant of a healthy lifestyle. Going to sleep and waking up at the same time each day shows your physical and mental strength. It is recommended to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Adequate sleep restores and recharges our body for next day.
- Meditation can be regarded as food for the soul. Spiritual health is one of the main health determining characteristic of a person’s personality as stated in the definition of health by WHO (World Health Organization).
- Staying active and working can be very helpful in maintaining a healthy lifestyle as lethargy and fatigue result from nutritional deficiencies or mental stress. If your work requires you to sit in front of the computer and has no mobility then make sure to stretch out or walk to the next desk just to ensure proper blood circulation. Watching your favorite series or Netflix for hours will put a strain on your mind and is considered unhealthy for your body.
- Spend some time with nature. Sit in a park, lie on the ground and watch starry sky, place some flowers on your desk, or plant something in your kitchen. This not only brightens our day but good oxygen supply is also important for a fresh mind.
- Planned and repetitive actions taken for the purpose of improving health and fitness is termed exercise. At least 30 minutes every day should be kept aside from our routine to exercise or if suffering from any joint or bone, consult your physician.
- Be grateful for what you have. It is an amazingly healthy habit to help us stay positive. Complaining only stresses you out and negatively affects your mood, health and working performance.
- Do things which give you joy, spend time with loved ones including friends, relatives, parents, children and partner. Learn to enjoy their company. Adopt a hobby which is a productive way of spending time. Go out to parks, museum, or whatever place you enjoying going to.
Live your life fully, stay active and positive should be your ultimate your goal. Know your worth and follow these self-care actions to be in the best of physical, mental and spiritual health.